In this episode, Dirk and Cole have a conversation with Jeremiah McCall who uses games in the classroom to help in teaching history.
Jeremiah McCall – @gamingthepast, gamingthepast.net, email@example.com
Cole Wehrle – @colewehrle, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirk Knemeyer – @DKnemeyer, artana.com, email@example.com
- 00:07 Introductions
- 00:18 Jeremiah’s approach to game design
- 01:08 What came first? Teaching or game design?
- 03:17 What barriers are there to turning classes into game design seminars?
- 05:12 Did Jeremiah think classroom games go so far?
- 07:13 How have the games evolved over the years?
- 12:47 How do you go about teaching games in a classroom?
- 16:47 For teachers, what advice does Jeremiah have?
- 21:05 What sort of history is Sid Meier’s peddling?
- 26:56 What about people who have learned history through video games?
- 30:35 What about Jeremiahs experience in digital game design, beyond teaching?
- 34:35 What would Jeremiah like to see people doing more of in game design?