In this episode, Mo Turkington from Unruly Designs joins Dirk and Kathryn to discuss LARPs and specifically chamber LARPs focused on women in WWII. The conversation also touches on the roles LARPs can have in understanding social privilege.
- 0:14 – Mo introduced and background
- 0:49 – What is a LARP?
- 2:02 – How does the idea of a LARP fit into Nightingales?
- 4:18 – What attracts Mo to the subject of historical LARP?
- 8:53 – As a designer how do you approach the historical details?
- 11:43 – What are the concrete goals a LARP player has?
- 17:20 – Are LARP games meant to be replayed?
- 19:51 – Differences between LARP and tabletop games
- 20:40 – Onboarding and Offboarding mechanics
- 25:54 – Privilege Lines
- 29:51 – Debriefs
- 35:12 – The changing narratives of LARP, RPG and tabletop games
- 40:17 – What’s the right way to play a LARP for the uninitiated?
- 44:00 – Wrap up and contact information